Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fertilizers, Pesticides, and Chemicals in Food

I try to limit the use of synthetic fertilizers and other chemicals in my backyard garden.  I don't do it because I have any special insight or scientific knowledge. I can't say for certain that I am any more or any less healthy because of it. But since I didn't worry about it for the past 43 years, I figure that being more careful in the future makes good sense.

I'm not an expert on pesticides, but I subscribe to the general view that less is more.  I am guessing that if I did a poll of my friends and family, nearly 100% of them would agree with me.

I recently ran across a link to some public comments being accepted regarding regulations that address the amounts of pesticides allowed in the food we purchase.  I encourage you to read it also.  It appears that some groups of people want to obtain waivers to decrease testing of pesticides in the foods we purchase.


Have you ever wondered who regulates these types of things?  Have you wondered who determines how much pesticide is too much?  Me too.  Please read this article from Purdue University that explains some of the in's and out's of the process. 

The article explains that 1% of the food grown domestically and imported from other countries is tested for presence of 268 known pesticides. Have you ever wondered about what's in the other 99% of the food supply?

It sounds like my desire to grow my own food is definitely on the right track.

-----------------
Build a DIY Aquaponic System

No comments:

Post a Comment