Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bats: Good for Agriculture

I was watching the morning news programs this morning and while flipping through the channels I settled on the CBS Sunday Morning program.  They did a nice piece of bats this morning and I learned some interesting things that I want to pass along. 
  1. They don’t attach people
  2. The more bats, the less pesticides are needed
  3. Austin, Texas actually has a annual festival to celebrate bats
I've seen bat houses in Florida in many different State and County Parks, but didn't realize how important they are to our food system - until today.
This looks like something every homeowner should have, whether an active gardener or just someone that wants some pest control without the use of pesticides (who wouldn't want that?)  In fact, according to eparks.org, a single bat can eat 1,200 mosquitoes per hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment