Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Blackberry Failure

I am a Billy Joe Shaver fan, so it is moments like this that his song Try and Try Again rings true. 

I have tried to grow blackberry bushes in containers twice.  I purchased two plants from Lowes and two from Home Depot.  Both were "guaranteed to grow", but none of the bushes have grown to date.

Zip. Nada. Nuthin'.

The instructions for both said to keep the roots moist, which I have done, but none of them have demonstrated any growth to date. I guess I've got to keep trying.

It looks like it's going to be a while before I am enjoying my grandmother's blackberry cobbler recipe with berries I grow myself.  I decided to pass on the $30 bushes from a local nursery that were more established and opted for the $5 variety. It appears to be another case of "you get what you pay for", but I haven't given up just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment