Sunday, April 24, 2011

Upside Down Japanese Eggplant

I've been growing eggplant in an upside down hanging planter marketed for tomato plants.  I'm not a fan of tomato unless it's in ketchup, but I'm becoming more fond of eggplant each year.

I am growing the ichiban variety because it is more tolerate of hot weather and although it's still spring time in Florida, we've had several days in the 90's already.  The ichiban have taken the hot weather very well.  We had three of them in the pictures below for last night's supper and all were very good.


I've had bad luck growing classic eggplant in my raised bed garden, but that is primarily due to a lack of cold weather protection in the fall of the year.  I learned that ichiban can take more hot weather, so from now on I'll be growing ichiban eggplant. 

I'm not sure it's plainly visible in the pictures, but about 30% of my eggplant succumbed to the pesky little devil known as the tomato horn worm, which obviously also like to snack on eggplant.  :o)

1 comment:

  1. I am so appreciative of these varied resources that have been published for anyone’s benefit.

    Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before.Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written.

    ReplyDelete