Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gardening Guide for City and Country Folk

I remember my grandfather looking at the Farmers Almanac and I have bought copies for my dad and uncles, but they never caught by attention.  A bit too much black and white and not enough pictures (this says a lot about the kind of magazines I read).  Well on a recent trip to the store (yes the store we are not fanatics we are only trying to source closer to home) I look in my cart and what do I see but someone has slipped a farmer’s almanac into it.  I look at my husband who has a guilty grin.

Much to my surprise 30 years later I find that the Farmer’s Almanac is quite interesting.  We got the gardening guide issue.  It said it was for City and Country Folk so I believe we are all included in that. What I enjoyed seeing was the companion planting guide, giving information on how certain plants and insects are beneficial or not so beneficial to one another.  Of course I loved the recipes especially the section devoted to the radish since we should have an abundant supply of those soon.  I see radish top soup on our menu soon.
I also learned what a jujube was and I don’t mean what you find in the candy store.

--------------
Eat for Energy

No comments:

Post a Comment