Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Local Harvest Resources

I realize that not everyone is interested in learning to grow their own food.  But hopefully most everyone can agree that they'd like to support local farms and buy their food locally when possible.

LocalHarvest.org has a large variety of information about small farms that sell their produce direct to consumers.  The site also has built-in search functionality for finding these farms.  The site will help you identify resources for Community Supported Agriculture (CSA), Farmer's Markets, and Food Co-ops and other options that will show you how to contact these farmers directly.

Let's try it out...

I used to live in the 65233 zip code near Boonville, MO.  Tonight I typed the zip code into the LocalHarvest.org farm search functionality and the search yielded three pages of farms within a reasonable driving distance.  In fact, the search surprised me a little bit with the depth of its' listings.  There's even a CSA in tiny Jamestown, MO where I attended elementary and junior high school.  The town has a population of around 300 residents, but does have its' own CSA farm called Happy Hollow Farm.  It's even a certified organic farm. Who knew?  I wonder if my relatives in Jamestown know about it.

A few more test searches via LocalHarvest.org and I'm convinced now more than ever that the availability of locally grown organic produce is closer than you may think. 

Via Local Harvest, you can have your own farmer. Pretty cool isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment