Saturday, November 26, 2011

Basement Gardening Project - Day 10

Today I've noticed that a couple of my plants in the hydroponic bubbler system are struggling. One of the spinach plants is under particular distress. The leaves are a deep vibrant healthy looking green color and the roots on that plant stretch 8-10 inches into the nutrient resevoir, but the stem on the plant is rather spindly (if that is even a word) and it's beginning to turn brown. It's literally hanging on by a thread.

My guess for the reason....rather than using rock wool to germinate my seeds, I used a popular moss-type pellet product that I had on hand in the garage that was leftover from my raised bed garden last year in an attempt to save a little money. The seeds germinate well, but in the hydroton filled net pots the moss doesn't really ever dry out. The excessive wetness caused the stem to rot. It may be too late to save this round of plants, but I will try again.

I think it's time to return to the hydroponic store and purchase some rock wool.

Update later in the day...

The trip to the hydroponic store was fruitful.  I got a sheet of 24 rockwool plugs for $5.78. My attempt to save a little money by using the moss product ended up costing me at least one spinach plant (probably more eventually) and three weeks of growing time. When I did a small scale experiment with a homemade bubbler system last year, I used coarse coconut coir.  The coarseness of the coir seemed to help keep it relatively dry. It was still damp, but not sopping wet like the moss.

After talking with the hydro guy a little, we determined my problem was most likely caused by another rookie mistake I made with the timing of the light and air pump. I have everything set up on a timer that runs the T8 lights and air stones for 18 hours and then shuts them off for 6 hours.  That leaves the plants soaking in stagnant un-oxygenized water for 6 hours, which is quite possibly the partial cause of the stem rot on the spinach plant.

I've reconfigured things so the air pump powers the air stones constantly, but the timer will continue to run the lights for 18 hours on and 6 hours off.

On a side note...the hydroponics store has set up a demo in the storefront window to demonstrate the simplicity of a DIY deep water culture system using 5 gallon buckets (my original plan). They are using the same pump I have with a splitter that runs 4 separate air stones in 4 separate five-gallon buckets. They have it set for 1 plant per bucket, whereas my approach using storage tubs has 6 plants for a 10 gallon container and 8 1/2 gallons of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment