Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Homesteading in a Condo

It's kind of ironic that I became interested in the Detroit food movement after we relocated to Florida several years ago.  When I lived near Detroit (the first time), I had no idea there actaully was a Detroit food movement.

One evening in 2007 I was doing random searches on Google (which I'm prone to do) and wound up on Holly White's blog - Homesteading in a Condo.  After reading a series of gardening posts on the blog, I got inspired to try some backyard container gardening of my own. I even purchased my first pound of red wigglers and a vermicomposting system.

Three above ground beds, six Earthboxes, an upside down canvas planter, several blackberry plants, and five  homemade hydroponic units later we've even preserved our first food recently in the form of apple butter!  And now that we're back in the Detroit Area, I look forward to attending a meeting of the Detroit Zymotology Guild sometime this spring.

And that my friends demonstrates the power of the Internet. People sharing their time and talents with others they don't even know. What a concept!

No comments:

Post a Comment