Sunday, November 13, 2011

Economical Aquaponics (i.e. Cheap)

If you are looking for an inexpensive DIY aquaponics system, you've found it.  I am not affiliated with Otterponics.com in any form, but I have been following the videos on You Tube for about a year now.  He has some nice ideas and just so happens to be a fellow Missourian.



My mom has a 55 gallon fish tank that will work perfectly for my next basement gardening project. When we lived in Florida, my outside aquaponics system consisted of two 100 gallon grow beds and a 210 gallon fish tank. With temps near zero degrees in Michigan winters, I'll need to move everything indoors. I think the Otterponics.com version will be nearly perfect for my basement gardening efforts. Fifty-five gallons is probably too small for edible size fish, but for someone wanting to learn aquaponics on a small scale or for someone who likes to tinker with projects in the wintertime (like me), it should work well.

Build an Aquaponic System

No comments:

Post a Comment