Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Basement Gardening Project - Day 12

We have been out of town for a few days visiting family for the holiday season. The lettuce, spinach, collards, and kale have grown quite a bit while we were gone. Here are a few pictures I took this afternoon.


You can see from these pictures that the net pots are not seated down in these storage containers very far.  That was not my intention when I started building this cheap hydroponic growing system. I purchased a 3 inch holesaw and 3 1/2 inch net pots, so there is a mismatch. When I made this discovery during the construction phase I made the decision to go ahead and use the net pots "as is" rather than spending more money to get 3 inch or 3 1/4 inch net pot (if there is such a thing). I did wrap a single width of electrical tape around the lower portion of the net pot to keep light out of the growing chamber in hopes of reducing potential algae growth. In retrospect, I should have delayed starting my project a few days and purchased the correct size net pots, but I doubt the growth has been impacted much at all.


This photo gives you some insight into how close the vegetation is to the 36 watt T8 bulbs I am using in these inexpensive fixtures purchased at Lowes.

No comments:

Post a Comment