Monday, December 19, 2011

Low Carb Dieting

In grade school I was in the high school section of the library and picked up a biography about Jim Ryan, the high school track star from Kansas. It was called Jim Ryan: Master of the Mile. I'm pretty sure it's been out of print for several years, but 28 years ago it was that book that spurred my enthusiasm for running. I dreamed of being a high school track star who would go on to participate in the Olympic Games.  I did earn several varsity letters in track and field and cross-country, but I never achieved elite status like Jim Ryan. I was fit and trim tipping the scales at 162 pounds as a college freshmen. 

I am no longer a runner due to years of arthritis damage and two knee surgeries. I now deal with knee pain on a daily basis.

Unless you know me outside of this website, you may not realize that I've put on a few extra pounds in the last several years. Every year after the holidays I promised myself that I would go on a diet and lose weight, but I never actually did it until this summer.

I picked up a copy of The Dukan Diet and I was losing weight in no time. Dr. Dukan promotes a low carb diet for weight loss wannabes and it actually works. During the first jump start phase I lost nearly 8 pounds in the first week. A friend of mine who has been diabetic for 20 years told me that she could have saved me the  $24.99 and put me on her diet for free. (If I'd only known.)

You don't need to buy a book or even follow a fad diet plan to lose weight. You simply need to reduce the amount of carbs you eat. You can do that fairly easily by increasing the amounts of vegetables you eat and dramatically reducing the amount of bread, rice, pasta, and soft drinks in your daily food intake while drinking more water. 

I can't promise you that you will lose 30 pounds like I did, but I predict you will lose some weight and feel better too. And besides, it will be a good excuse to start growing your own vegetables in the backyard, balcony, basement, or garage!

No comments:

Post a Comment