Saturday, March 26, 2011

Aquaponics System Update

Today I received the pond pump for the Do-It-Myself Aquaponics System that I am building.  Many people would call it a Do-It-Yourself System, but since I'm actually doing it myself I have changed up the name a little.  And, in the interest of full disclosure I should also add that I am receiving lots and lots of advice and guidance from my new Internet friends at the AquaponicsCommunity.com and Aquaponic Lynx LLC

I decided to got with Quiet One 4000 Pond Pump manufactured by Lifeguard Aquatics.  The pump is capable of 991 GPH and has the following features as posted on the Lifeguard Aquatics website:

  • ECO-SAV to generate more power with less electricity consumption
  • Internal recirculation prevents overheating and ejects obstructing debris
  • Corrosion resistant ceramic bearings
  • Cooling chambers to provide air-cooling during use
The 4000 has enough power to run an indexing valve if I decide to expland my system with more grow beds later, but it's still in the affordable category for my very non-commercial backyard gardening application.  And perhaps best of all, Aquaponic Lynx (known through the world as TCLynx on aquaponics discussion forums) has been using a similar pump for quite a while and has validated that the 4000 is capable of working well in conjunction with an indexing valve.  She likes them so much in fact that she decided to represent the company and sell the pumps on her aquaponics website.  I felt more comfortable buying a brand and model that someone else has actually used. That's one of the advantages of dealing with someone you at least know a little about versus taking your chances with a random online product purchase.

I also got some gravel guards to protect the stand pipes for the system.  I've ordered some Uniseals as well, but those haven't arrived yet.

Build an Aquaponic System

No comments:

Post a Comment