Sunday, March 6, 2011

When to pick a carrot?

We have watched the tops of the carrots grow bigger and fuller for the past several weeks. They seem to be liking the warmer 70+ degree daytime temperatures. We dream about the day we'll be able to eat the beautiful orange vegetables cozy in their bed of soil in the above ground garden.












Every day I wonder, "Is today the day? How will I know when it's time?"

I asked my husband this question and he looked down at them and said, "Not yet." Truth be told, he really doesn't know anymore than I do on this topic.

I convinced him to pull a single carrot to check their readiness.  Alas, it wasn't time yet, but we did get excited by the two-inch baby carrot that told us that soon we will have our very own home grown carrots to enjoy. The little carrot was good, although not very sweet. I am afraid that the heat of Florida might prohibit us harvesting a sweet carrot, but the carrot definitely had more flavor than the last bunch of carrots I bought from the grocery store.

But still...I pose the question, "How will we know when it is time to harvest?"  So I did what every other self-respecting human being does when they need information - I headed to Google Search.

Here is what I found from About.com. The tops of the carrots will show at the soil line and then you can gauge when the diameter is right for your variety. If the diameter looks good, then the length should be fine. So basically you handle carrots much as we handled our radishes.

This answer leads to another question for me, "What variety did we plant?"  I guess that would be a good thing to chronicle in our blog, so we have a history or diary of our processes. Oh well, there's always "next time".

No comments:

Post a Comment