Friday, March 4, 2011

Picture of My Backyard Garden's Progress

I decided to snap some photos tonight to show the progress my backyard garden has made in just a few short weeks. 

First Bell Pepper
I've been experimenting with homemade hydroponics for a couple of months.  The picture above is about 5 days of growth from the day it was first visible.  I'm growing 6 different pepper plants including poblano, bell, banana, and jalepeno in an 18 gallon Rough Tote container with an air stone to aerate the water.  I'm using fish emulsion, bone meal, and some a small amount of liquid micro nutrient developed for hydroponics. I change the water every 10 - 14 days.

Herb Close-up
Three Herb Types
I'll confess that I don't know enough about herbs to know the difference in the three types growing in the clay pot above.  They were planted about 10 days ago and are making good progress.

Second Bell Pepper Close-Up
I didn't see this bell pepper for a few days, but found this pleasant surprise tonight.  There are lots and lots of blooms on the other plants.  If luck remains on my side, there should be plenty of other peppers to photograph very soon.

Cucumbers in our Earth Box
We're growing 4 cucumbers in our first Earth Box.  I had trouble getting the box level at first, so the plants suffered. If the box is not level, water won't wick upwards properly to enrich the plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment