Saturday, March 19, 2011

Blackberry Update

The blackberries I planted a couple of weeks ago are not doing well.  The package said, "guaranteed to grow'".  Note to nursery stock providers - it's risky to guarantee that something will grow because there's a good chance your customer is going to end up disappointed.  I think there are just too many variables to offer a guarantee.

The instructions said "water once per week" and "do not fertilize until growth appears".  I watered twice a week because of the dry weather we have been having, but I didn't use any fertilizer.  The plants were potted in clay containers using standard potting soil.

The berries were definitely alive when we purchased them, but I have doubts that they are still living.  I'll give it another week before we try something else.  I am still hopeful the berries will grow.

Maybe I can find a more mature blackberry transplant to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment