Tuesday, March 29, 2011

What is Brassica?

According to Botany.com brassica refers to the family of vegetables including bok choy, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, colza, Hanover Salad, kale, kohlrabi, mustard, rutabaga, and turnip.   Wikipedia.com refers to the brassica family of vegetables as descendants of wild cabbage. Who knew?

Until a couple of years ago, I had never eaten bok choy, kale, or kohlrabi. Perhaps the most surprising to me is kohlrabi.  It's a funny looking vegetable also known as a German turnip, but it's tasty if prepared well.

Kohlrabi Recipe:  One of my favorite ways to eat kohlrabi is breaded and baked.  You can use seasoned bread crumbs, Shake and Bake, or even fish fry breading.  Slice the kohlrabi and dip it in an egg bath. Bake it in the oven at 400 degrees until the kohlrabi turns a golden brown. When it's cooked like that, kohlrabi actually reminds me of fish. 

With kohlrabi, I can pretend I'm eating meat when I'm actually eating vegetables! 

No comments:

Post a Comment